EPA History Timeline
The history of Emerson Park Academy can be traced back to 1943 when the Hornchurch Grammar School opened with 75 boys and girls and a staff of 4 teachers. By 1952 there were 294 students and it was clear that new premises were needed.
1954 / 1955
The new premises, on Wych Elm Road, opened to students in September 1954, originally with 560 students. We are fortunate to have a former student's piece of work, written on her first day at Hornchurch Grammar School, which was also the day the school opened (please see below).
In 1973 the school became a comprehensive school and was extended to provide for 1000 students. It then became known as Emerson Park School.
In 2004 the school became a Specialist Sports College and was officially opened by Sir Trevor Brooking.
In 2011 the school became an academy and is now known as Emerson Park Academy.